Should You Light a Candle Near a TV? (NEVER DO THIS, HERE’S WHY)

Many of us have naked flames in our homes for various reasons.

These include wood stoves, gas hobs, and even candles.

However, while many people take extreme caution to protect themselves from fireplaces and hobs, they don’t display the same caution with candles.

Today, we discuss whether it’s safe to light candles near a television.

So, Should You Light a Candle Near a TV?

It depends on where you put the candle. Ideally, it shouldn’t be too close to the TV unit. Remember that smoke and electronics do not co-relate well. Therefore, placing a candle close to a TV can damage it. If you insist on lighting a candle near your TV for one reason or another, do not place it right under or next to it. Also, avoid leaving it burning when you are not in the room.

How Do Smoke and Fire Affect Electronics?

Mild or blazing fires and their smoke can seriously damage electrical components.

Small amounts of smoke can stream into the environment from cooking or cigarettes.

But most massive smoke and fire damage occurs from electrical explosions. Some intentional flame types, like candles and fireplaces, are also sources of steady smoke.

This smoke, mixed with gases, solid, and liquid particles, can make it dangerous for delicate electronics.

Smokes can lead to electronic failure. So lighting flames that produce smoke is not recommended.

Additional TV Topics
Can You Hang a TV in a Mobile Home?
Can You Keep a TV in a Cold Garage?
Can You Put a TV Above a Heating Vent?
Can You Put a TV Stand Over a Vent?
How Hot is Too Hot for a TV?
Should a Guest Room Have a TV?
Should You Get a TV for Your Bathroom?
Should You Get a TV for Your Bedroom?
Should You Get a TV for Your Kitchen?
Should You Put a TV in a Nursery?
Should You Light a Candle Near a TV?
What’s the Difference Between a Cheap and Expensive Television?

At first, it may not seem like a big deal to light a candle near a TV since the smoke emitted isn’t much anyway.

But with time, the smoke builds up to gently cover the exteriors of the electronics and lays them gradually upon smoky materials.

When this happens, the electronic devices cannot release heat properly.

So, they become hotter and hotter. Excessive heat reduces the lifespan of electronics.

Television and radios with circuit boards are the most affected by smoke. When smoke collects around the circuit boards, it leads to electrical currents flowing in areas that aren’t intended to flow.

As a result, their optimal function is gradually affected. And with time, your once beautiful and functional TV becomes useless.

It’s also worth noting that smoke is generally acidic.

Therefore, if it penetrates elements within electronic devices like plastics and glass, it corrodes them. Soot from fires and high levels of humidity or liquid can quickly corrode your electronics.

What Happens When Electronics Are Overheated?

Overheating from smoke and fire is among the major causes of electrical fires. When the electronics cannot release hot air, they can explode once they reach their maximum.

Ensure that your electronics are well-ventilated to reduce the chances of electrical fires. That way, they can release hot air and cool down.

Therefore, it means that you reduce their exposure to smoke.

Do not put candles or light cigarettes near electronics.

Please don’t forget that they need to breathe and release heat to keep functioning correctly.

Also, you should keep your electronics far from flammable or combustible materials like candles.

What Not to Do with Candles

Did you know that candles cause more than 15,00 residential fires and 150 deaths yearly?

Yes, you read that right. For this reason, you have to be extra careful when lighting candles in your house.

The obvious rule is not to place them near flammable materials and not leave them unattended. But what other things should you not do?

Avoid placing candles above heat sources, especially if they are scented in glass holders.

So that means keeping them away from fireplaces, radiators, ovens, and even television.

Remember that scented candles usually have a low melting point to release their scent.

Therefore, even a tiny amount of heat can cause the candle to start melting at its bottom.

It’s also worth noting that candle wax significantly expands when heated, causing pressure in the glass holder. If the holder has a crack or is cheap, it can explode.

Don’t put a burning candle on the floor.

Arranging candles on the floor sounds romantic. But this is one of those things that should be left for the movies.

Do not attempt to do that at home. Remember that you or someone else might accidentally knock the candles over.

Also, the glass holders can become extremely hot when the candles light for a long time. If this happens and there is a carpet, rug, or your floors are wooden/laminate, it can cause a fire.

Don’t place candles on surfaces close to the doorways.

There is a high chance that they will be bumped or knocked over and cause a fire.

Don’t place candles on or close to your electronics.

As mentioned, smoke and heat damage the electronics.

In worst-case scenarios, the electronics may explode and start a fire. So, avoid lighting candles close to your TV, computer, or gaming machine.

Avoid placing candles directly on the bathtub’s rim.

Remember that most baths are made of acrylics or fiberglass, which can melt or get scotched with heat from the candle holder.

Also, remove your candles from dressing gowns, toilet paper, and bath mats, as they are flammable.

Don’t put your candles on windowsills.

These receive a lot of breeze, which can blow the flame and light the curtain. And if you don’t intervene quickly, it can cause a fire.

Don’t mix candles and alcohol.

Sure, candles and wine are seen as romantic and relaxing. But there is a reason why we are warned against drinking and driving.

The same applies to drinking and lighting candles. You want to be in your most sober state when handling candles.

Lastly, do not put a candle under a wall-mounted television.

The heat and smoke from the candle can rise into the vents, which can set the TV on fire.

Again, when you extinguish the candle, or it burns improperly, the vaporized wax gases can rise into the vents.

When smoke, heat, and gasses build up in the TV components, it can cause a fire with time.

The Do’s with Candles

We’ve looked at the don’ts. Let us now talk about the dos;

Make sure that candles burn in the right holders that insulate the surrounding environment from heat from the candle.

Respect the fire from your candle.

Often, we think the fire is too little to cause any damage. But remember that candles are naked flames. So, it would be best if you accorded them the same caution as fireplaces, ovens, etc.

Extinguish your candles completely.

You can use a lid or snuffer for this.

Remember that the candle can ignite if the wick is still hot or glowing. So ensure that the candle doesn’t receive any oxygen for your safety.

What Do Candles Have in Common with Television?

Candles and TVs are two different products.

However, they have many more things in common than we can imagine.

Candles contain paraffin wax in lubricants, medicines, paints, and some beauty products.

Paraffin undergoes a crystallization process.

According to research by Prof Schilling of the University of Luxembourg, molecules in paraffin align in a similar manner to molecules in liquid crystals before settling in their final position.

This process is similar to that used in Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) technology for making TV screens.

Final Thoughts

It is unsafe to light a candle near your TV or any other electronic device.

The smoke and heat from this naked flame can damage your television.

And it can also lead to overheating, which puts your TV at risk of fire.

So, if you insist on burning a candle, ensure that it is at least 30 cm away from your television for your safety. That way, you can prolong the life of your TV.