As Thanksgiving approaches, many people are faced with the question of whether to use their regular dishes or opt for disposable paper plates.
It’s a dilemma that has puzzled hosts and hostesses for years.
Should you buy new dishes or paper plates for Thanksgiving? The answer may surprise you.
Let’s explore the pros and cons of each option to help you make the best decision for your holiday gathering.
- Choosing the right dinnerware for Thanksgiving depends on your personal preferences, the size of your family and guests, and the style and theme of your Thanksgiving table.
- While paper plates can be a convenient option, traditional dinnerware offers a more elegant and sophisticated look.
- Additional dining accessories such as chargers, placemats, and napkin rings can enhance the look of your Thanksgiving table.
Understanding Different Types of Dinnerware
When it comes to choosing dinnerware, there are many different types of materials to choose from. Each type of dinnerware has its own unique features and benefits.
In this section, we will discuss the most common types of dinnerware materials.
1. Ceramic Dinnerware
Ceramic dinnerware is a popular choice for everyday use. It is made from clay that has been fired at high temperatures, which makes it durable and long-lasting.
Ceramic dinnerware is also dishwasher and microwave safe, making it convenient for everyday use.
2. Stoneware Dinnerware
Stoneware dinnerware is similar to ceramic dinnerware, but it is made from a denser type of clay.
This makes it more durable and less likely to chip or break. Stoneware dinnerware is also microwave and dishwasher safe, making it a convenient choice for everyday use.
3. Porcelain Dinnerware
Porcelain dinnerware is a type of ceramic dinnerware that is made from a specific type of clay and fired at a higher temperature.
This makes it more durable and less likely to chip or break than other types of ceramic dinnerware. Porcelain dinnerware is also dishwasher and microwave safe, making it a convenient choice for everyday use.
4. Earthenware Dinnerware
Earthenware dinnerware is made from a type of clay that is fired at a lower temperature than other types of dinnerware. This makes it more fragile and more likely to chip or break.
Earthenware dinnerware is not recommended for everyday use, but it is a popular choice for decorative or special occasion dinnerware.
5. Bone China Dinnerware
Bone china dinnerware is made from a mixture of bone ash, feldspar, and kaolin. This makes it more delicate and lightweight than other types of dinnerware.
Bone china dinnerware is also more expensive than other types of dinnerware, but it is a popular choice for formal occasions.
6. Fine China Dinnerware
Fine china dinnerware is similar to bone china dinnerware, but it is made from a different type of clay. Fine china dinnerware is also more delicate and lightweight than other types of dinnerware. Fine china dinnerware is a popular choice for formal occasions.
|Durable, dishwasher and microwave safe
|Denser clay, more durable, microwave and dishwasher safe
|Fired at high temperature, durable, dishwasher and microwave safe
|Fired at low temperature, fragile, not recommended for everyday use
|Made from bone ash, feldspar, and kaolin, delicate, expensive, popular for formal occasions
|Made from a different type of clay than bone china, delicate, expensive, popular for formal occasions
When choosing dinnerware, it is important to consider your needs and preferences.
If you are looking for dinnerware that is durable and convenient for everyday use, ceramic or stoneware dinnerware may be the best choice.
If you are looking for dinnerware for special occasions, bone china or fine china dinnerware may be the best choice.
Advantages of Using Paper Plates
If you’re considering using paper plates for Thanksgiving, there are several advantages to keep in mind. Here are some of the main benefits of using paper plates for your holiday feast:
1. Ease of Cleanup
One of the biggest advantages of using paper plates is the ease of cleanup.
After your guests have finished eating, you can simply throw away the plates and avoid the hassle of washing dishes. This can be especially helpful if you’re hosting a large crowd or don’t have a dishwasher.
2. Cost Effectiveness
Another advantage of using paper plates is that they can be more affordable than buying new dishes.
While you may need to purchase a large pack of paper plates to accommodate all of your guests, this can still be more cost-effective than buying a whole new set of dishes.
Plus, you won’t have to worry about any broken or chipped dishes during cleanup.
3. Outdoor Dining Compatibility
If you’re planning to dine outdoors for Thanksgiving, paper plates can be a great option. They’re lightweight and easy to transport, making them ideal for picnics or other outdoor gatherings.
Plus, you won’t have to worry about any glassware or dishes breaking if they’re accidentally dropped or knocked over.
Overall, using paper plates can be a convenient and cost-effective option for your Thanksgiving dinner.
However, keep in mind that paper plates are not as environmentally friendly as reusable dishes, and they may not be as sturdy or attractive as traditional dinnerware. Consider your specific needs and preferences before making a decision.
Disadvantages of Using Paper Plates
While paper plates may seem like a convenient option for Thanksgiving dinner, there are several disadvantages to consider before making your purchase.
1. Environmental Impact
One of the biggest disadvantages of using paper plates is their negative impact on the environment.
According to Conserve Energy Future, the production of paper plates results in the deforestation of about 4 billion trees every year. Additionally, paper plates are not recyclable in most communities and end up in landfills where they take years to decompose.
This means that using paper plates for your Thanksgiving dinner will contribute to the growing problem of waste and pollution.
While paper plates may seem like a cheaper option than buying new dishes, the cost can add up over time.
According to Home Lift Up, the average cost for a family of four to use paper plates for a year is around $200, assuming daily use. In contrast, purchasing a set of dishes can be a one-time expense that will last for years with proper care.
Paper plates are not as durable as traditional dishes and can easily tear or leak, especially when holding hot or heavy foods. This can lead to a messy and inconvenient dining experience, as well as the need to use multiple plates for one meal.
4. Storage and Disposal
Paper plates can take up valuable storage space in your home, especially if you buy in bulk.
Additionally, disposing of used paper plates can be a hassle, as they need to be thrown away in the trash and cannot be composted or recycled in most communities.
This means that using paper plates for your Thanksgiving dinner will not only take up space in your home but also contribute to the growing problem of waste and pollution.
Overall, while paper plates may seem like a convenient option for Thanksgiving dinner, their negative impact on the environment, cost, durability, and storage and disposal issues make them a less desirable choice compared to traditional dishes.
Additional Dining Accessories
When it comes to hosting a Thanksgiving dinner, having the right dining accessories can elevate the experience for you and your guests.
In addition to plates and napkins, there are a few other items you should consider to make your table setting complete.
1. Flatware Selection
Your choice of flatware can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your table setting. If you have silverware, this is a great opportunity to bring it out and use it for a special occasion.
If you don’t have silverware, there are plenty of affordable options available that can still look elegant. Consider the following options:
- Stainless steel: A classic and durable choice that can be dressed up or down depending on the design.
- Gold or rose gold: A trendy option that can add a touch of glamour to your table setting.
- Black: A modern and sleek option that can create a dramatic contrast against white plates.
2. Drinkware Selection
Just like with flatware, your choice of drinkware can make a big impact on your table setting. Consider the following options:
- Wine glasses: If you plan on serving wine with your Thanksgiving meal, having proper wine glasses can enhance the experience.
- Tumblers: A versatile option that can be used for water, soda, or other beverages.
- Champagne flutes: If you want to add a touch of elegance to your meal, consider serving champagne or a sparkling wine in flutes.
3. Table Decorations
Adding a few decorative touches to your table can make it feel more festive and inviting. Consider the following options:
- Centerpiece: A beautiful centerpiece can be the focal point of your table and tie everything together. Consider using a seasonal flower arrangement or a decorative bowl filled with fruit.
- Chargers: Placing chargers underneath your plates can add a pop of color or texture to your table setting.
- Napkins: Folded napkins can add a decorative touch to each place setting. If you’re using paper napkins, consider choosing a festive design that matches your overall theme.
- Salad bowl: If you’re serving a salad as part of your meal, having a separate bowl for it can make it easier for guests to serve themselves.
By considering these additional dining accessories, you can create a beautiful and functional table setting for your Thanksgiving dinner.
In conclusion, whether you should buy new dishes or paper plates for Thanksgiving depends on your personal preferences and circumstances. Here are some key factors to consider:
- Price: Paper plates are generally less expensive than buying new dishes, but keep in mind that high-quality paper plates can be more expensive than basic disposable plates.
- Stock: If you already have enough plates to serve your guests, there may be no need to buy new dishes or paper plates.
- Dishwasher-safe and microwave-safe: If you plan to use your dishes beyond Thanksgiving, it may be worth investing in dishwasher-safe and microwave-safe plates. Paper plates are not dishwasher-safe or microwave-safe.
- Vibrant and decorative: If you want to create a formal or festive atmosphere, decorative plates can add to the ambiance. Paper plates can come in a variety of designs and colors, but they may not be as vibrant as high-quality dishes.
Ultimately, the decision is yours. If you prefer the convenience of disposable plates and don’t mind spending a little extra money on high-quality paper plates, they can be a good option. However, if you plan to use your plates beyond Thanksgiving and want to invest in long-lasting, dishwasher-safe and microwave-safe dishes, it may be worth buying new dishes. Consider your personal preferences, budget, and needs to make the best decision for you.