Most people use their bath towels more than once without cleaning them.
Let’s face it. Most folks do so, and others wonder whether it is a good or bad idea. There is confusion around the use and cleaning of towels.
So, Is It Safe to Use Bath Towels More Than Once?
Yes. It is perfectly safe to use bath towels more than once. It is more hygienic to do so. When you use a towel multiple times, it becomes more absorbent and effective at drying your body.
Additionally, using the same towel multiple times allows your body to build up a tolerant immunity to the bacteria that may be present on the towel- it is from a scientific point of view, and it turns out it works pretty well.
How Often Should You Wash Your Bath Towels?
It is recommended to wash your bath towel after every use.
If you don’t wash it after every use, bacteria can build up on the towel and cause you to get sick.
Besides, it will also get dumped and uncomfortable during your next use.
If, for instance, you take a bath in the morning and plan to take another one in the afternoon or evening, leaving your towel dump makes the next bath experience horrible.
It is the chief reason we recommend frequent cleaning of your bath towel.
Are There Any Benefits of Using a Bath Towel More Than Once?
Even though it is a good idea to clean your bath towel after every use, there are many benefits to using it more than once.
Here are three benefits of using a bath towel more than once:
1. Saves You Money
One of the most obvious benefits of using your towel more than once is that it saves money.
If you only use a bath towel once and then throw it away, you will have to buy a new one each time you shower or bath.
It can become expensive over time.
2. It Is Environmentally Friendly
Another benefit of using a bath towel more than once is that it is more environmentally friendly. Sounds odd, right?
We will help you understand why and how.
Well, when you use a bath towel more than once, you reduce the amount of laundry you must do.
That means that you are using less water and electricity. It is good for the environment.
3. It Enhances Convenience and Saves Time
Using a bath towel more than once is more convenient and time-saving.
If you only use a bath towel once and then throw it away, you will have to wash it each time you want to use it again. It can be time-consuming.
However, if you use a bath towel more than once, you can put it in the laundry basket and wash it with your other laundry. It is much more convenient.
Are There Any Risks of Using a Bath Towel More Than Once?
1. You Risk Getting Skin Infections
One of the main risks is of developing skin infections.
The towel can become a breeding ground for bacteria, which get to the skin. There are varieties of bacteria that can pose potential harm to your skin.
Most of these bacteria thrive well in moist conditions. Your wet towel provides exactly those conditions for such bacteria to multiply.
Moisture can sustain them long enough until the next time you come for another bath.
2. Allergic Reactions
Another risk is that of developing allergic reactions.
The towel can come into contact with allergens, such as dust or pollen, which can cause a reaction.
Mold which thrives well under moist conditions is known to cause allergens. Individuals with asthmatic conditions and respiratory ailments can get seriously ill if exposed to such allergens.
3. Possible Contamination
There is a risk of the towel becoming contaminated with chemicals, which get to the skin.
Three Bath Towel Cleaning Tips
1. Wash Your Towel in Hot Water
It would help if you always wash your towel in hot water.
As you know, bacteria and other living organisms die at temperatures beyond 45 degrees Celsius.
Extremely hot temperatures kill their protoplasm and prevent further multiplication.
You can also add a little bleach to the wash water to disinfect the towel.
2. Hang Your Bath Towel to Dry
After washing the towel, you should hang it up to dry in a clean and dry place (not the bathroom).
Take it outside where the sun and wind can dry it well.
Such conditions also help in preventing the growth of molds and bacteria on your bath towel.
3. Use Hot Water to Clear Off Mold and Mildew
If you notice any mold or mildew on your towel, you should wash it immediately in hot water with bleach.
Be sure to rinse the towel thoroughly to remove all traces of bleach.
It is because bleach can have some serious impact on your skin. It would be best if you rinsed it well.
Six Bath Towel Usage Tips
You probably don’t think much about your bath towel, but it can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
Proper use of your towel ensures that it does not become a breeding ground for bacteria, mold and mildew, which can lead to skin infections and other related concerns, as we mentioned earlier.
Here are six tips for using your bath towel:
- Hang your towel up to dry after each use. It is to dry it and keep moisture at bay.
- Don’t share your towel with anyone else. Skin diseases are contagious and can be transmitted very first through contact. Anyone who uses your towel will leave the disease-causing organisms on your towel. You will become the next victim. To avoid this, do not share your bath towel with anyone else. If you must have one for your guests, invest in more than one bath towel.
- Wash your towel frequently in hot water. It is the most effective way of killing bacteria, mold and other disease-causing microorganisms.
- Avoid using fabric softener on your towel. Fabric softener, though it aids in keeping it clean, ultimately harms your towel. It cuts its lifespan. To ensure that your towel last long, avoid using fabric softener.
- Don’t store your towel in a damp place. And for obvious reasons. A damp place makes ideal conditions for mold, bacteria and a wide array of microorganisms. Make sure that the storage spot for your towel is always a dry place.
- Replace your towel if it starts to show signs of wear. Your body needs something smooth. So, if your old bath towel has shown any signs of wear, make an urgent replacement. Invest in one with smooth fabric.
You can use your towel more than once. But it is a prudent idea to wash it often.
It is important to rid it of bacteria, mold and other microorganisms that can pose threats like skin diseases.
Always hang it in a dry place to avoid such microorganisms from thriving on your towel.
Also, replace it if it gets old, as we stipulated in this article.